Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Preparation

I am sitting in my office (I run a public school program for at-risk youth) and I am listening to Zombie Nation! Thump Thump Thump Thump Thump….awoahwoah awoawoa woa wo uh wo uh wo….LOVE IT. See “Shaun of the Dead” if you have not seen it!!!

I am leaving Oct 31. The outline of my plan is as follows: Go down to Homer, AK (best place in the state) and spend a little time writing and preparing for the journey. Then I will head out of state and into the Yukon. That will begin a week on the ALCAN and down to Seattle. Then to Bend Oregon to check it out some more. Then I will go down to northern California winding my way down to Sequoia National Park, Death Valley and then over toward Denver. And then…south to great sand dunes park and on into New Mexico. I will spend some time in my favorite town in the states – Taos. Then on to Ojo Caliente, Albuquerque, Acoma, and then White Sands. I will then head out toward Arizona via the VLA and stop in Tucson to see my old friend. I then plan to drive along the border. The idea will be to visit border towns interviewing people along the way about border life and how life has changed since 9/11. It will be a photographic journal. I hope to turn it all into a book. I will also be looking for interesting signs along the way. I mean that literally! I will photograph clever, funny and weird signs around America. This may become a book as well. If you have any tips for things I should look for, photograph or people I should meet along the way...email me or comment!

I will then continue along the boarder, visiting friends up in Austin and then across the south to Atlanta to visit family. By then, I may need to dip my toes in the water off Key West. The end result is that I need to be ready to leave for Samoa next July. I will be teaching a year of classes to children in Samoa as a volunteer with WorldTeach. And I have to say…if McCain and Palin win, I will probably keep going!!!!!

So that is the plan. I am not sure how I will fund all of this, but energy has a way of sending you what you need!

I was thinking about this blogging idea last night, and I realized I have been missing out on an opportunity! I have always been credited with being a good counselor to people, especially family and relationship issues. I have no desire to go back to school to take boring classes on theory! I think you either have the ability to listen and help with creative solutions or you don’t! So, I think I will start one more blog as a dear Abbey sort of site or Savage Love type of forum.

This past weekend it snowed hard on the way back from the Arctic Circle. It was a great drive, but the snow came down so hard we had to stop the car and crawl so that we might see the edge of the road. It was a bit dodgy. I apologize for the boring nature of all of this, but soon it will pick up. I will post tales from the trail and photos as well. For now, only friends and their friends know about this blog. Perhaps, more will visit once I am on my way. Until I leave, I will try to pick a topic per day to write about so that you, my readers, will have some idea of the weird person that I am! :)
www.caseyrcorbin.com

No comments: